Friday, April 11, 2014

Blood Doesn't Affect Your Heart!



On the morning of April 11th (Friday) - my palpations were in full swing and now I also had this odd warming sensation around my heart. My calves were cramping, and I'd been using two pillows to prop myself up at night to make it easier to breathe.
I called Dr. Kmetzo's office and they said they could fit me in at the Chalfont office with CRNP Jennifer Brown.
I went in for an appointment and while Brown was nice - I found it interesting that she didn't take my blood pressure, didn't take my pulse ox when I had told her my history of anemia. She told me blood counts don't matter (really? because I was pretty sure that an infected/injured heart could affect blood cells and be the cause of anemia) She didn't put me on a heart monitor but she did listen to my heart with a stethoscope and said she did hear PVC's. She sent me home with a halter monitor but because we didn't have a home phone, I'd have to drop off the monitor to download it after I had recorded 5 episodes of PVC's. WHAT? FIVE episodes? My heart was beating irregularly constantly! I'd be back in a freaking hour! She gave me a prescription for Lopressor even though I explained I had LOW BLOOD pressure and they tried to put me on that back in 2006 and it only made me dizzy. Sigh.
I put it on, left, went home. Had a few episodes of fluttering on my way home, recorded it, and when I got home, took it off, walked Jack, (and while walking, the fluttering seems to calm down) and then put it on. Well, in less than half an hour, I had used up all "Five" slots and now had to go download the halter monitor to free up room. God, this was ridiculous. Would I be running back and forth all day? All weekend?
I sat outside and tried to wait out the fluttering. I hated to go back to the office. It wasn't getting better, however, it was getting worse.
I decided to drop off the monitor and while driving over (a short 10 minute drive) - my arm was tingling, I was having heaviness in my chest. When I went in to turn in the monitor, I asked if they could put me on a monitor - I explained the symptoms I was having.  They hooked me up to take a 12 second strip and I wasn't surprised when it didn't show my PVC's (as those quick strips never do). I asked if they could hook me up to a regular monitor and they said they don't have one. What? Isn't that kind of like going to an ice cream shop and finding out they don't have any ice cream dippers? They didn't take my blood pressure, they didn't check a pulse ox. I was complaining of trouble breathing and they didn't even offer me any oxygen. I knew they probably thought I was having an anxiety attack (hmmm, would anxiety cause me to go into bigmeny and trigemeny while under anesthesia?) - but even if I was having an anxiety attack - I knew from my work as a paramedic, be calm with the patient, be reassuring, and put an oxygen mask on their face but don't give them oxygen...often that will call them down.
I got none of that. I got this:
"Have a seat in the waiting room and wait for Brown."
Ok.
Twenty minutes later, the anger I was feeling at the way I'd been dismissed and not taken seriously did not help my heart which was now bounding out of my chest. I asked for a copy of my halter monitor report and said that I was leaving. They gave me the report (it showed I had multiple PVC's) and off I went. I considered going to the ER - but after the visit on March 31st - I worried I would be taken as seriously as the staff at Central Bucks Cardiology treated me. My had lost most of my faith in Doylestown doctors. With the exception of Dr. Jennifer White and Dr. Dinesen. I had one last doctor to see, Dr. Ianieri. She would be the last ob/gyn and be the tie breaker on if I should have a complete hysterectomy. I'd made the appointment over a month ago - I was tempted to just cancel it and give up on everything Doylestown, but my sister in law had loved her so I was willing to give it a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment