Thursday, March 13, 2014

Doylestown ER - Dr. Jennifer White Restores My Faith In Doctors

On Thursday, March 13 - I was feeling quite crappy. Literally. Running to the bathroom every hour because I had a case of the runs and feeling really bloated and crampy. Still the pain in my lower left area. John invites me out to lunch - anywhere I want to go! I normally love going out to eat but feel so horrible I turn him down.
Around 2 or so, the pain in my lower left is now in my back and upper abdomen. What. The. Fuck. I call Dr. Ukropec. She is with a patient so I leave a message that the pain is bad and should I go to the ER? I'm starting to have shortness of breath - but I'm not sure if this is from the pain or something else is going on. Did something burst inside me? WTF??
While I wait for Ukropec to call - I call Dr. Minissale and they say they can't help me - it doesn't sound like a GI problem because my stool isn't loose and if I'm having trouble breathing, that's not a GI problem. WTF! I'm hesitant to go to the ER again because on March 3rd - Dr. Choi really didn't take me seriously and when the ultrasound didn't show a cyst, I second guessed myself. Maybe I didn't know my body as well as I thought I did.
Finally I give up and go to Doylestown ER.
Dr. Jennifer White is on duty.
She is the doctor that saw me in September 2013 when I initially went in with left sided pain and she had focused on possible kidney stones.
Well, she treated me seriously. She did a contrast CAT scan and did blood work and I was starting to have palpation's so they hooked me up to the heart monitor.
I DID have a cyst on my left ovary after all. It was the same size and in the same place as it was in September. I also had a lesion on my liver (was told not to freak out, it's probably just like a birth mark). And I had a large diverticuliti on my duodenum (which, she thought, might be why I was having upper GI pain as well now).
My red blood cells, hemocrit, and lymphocytes were all abnormal (low).
Now - what I wouldn't know until I requested copies of my report in late July a few months later, was that the EKG came back as abnormal with possible left atrial enlargement).
There was also a mild amount of fluid around my lungs.

She gave me some oxycodne, she gave me the name of her ob/gyn, and she gave me the name of a family doctor. Most importantly, she treated me like a patient and was sympathetic and took my symptoms seriously.

I left feeling hopeful that at least we were on the road to figuring out what was wrong - the faster we pinpointed what was wrong, the faster I could get back to my old energetic self!

While in the ER, I got a voicemail from Dr. Ukropec - she left a message advising me not to go the ER - there was nothing they could do for me.

I couldn't believe it. Seriously??? What doctor would EVER tell a patient who calls complaining of shortness of breath to NOT go to the emergency room? I couldn't fucking believe it. And thank god I had gone, because it showed the cyst, and bruise on my liver, and screwed up blood cell counts, and diverticuli on my duedenum and palpations!!

I really did not like Dr. Ukropec and I could now understand why no one gave her a gift of bacon of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment